Kilkee Sewerage Scheme
Irish Water is working to end the unacceptable practice of untreated wastewater being discharged to Intrinsic Bay near Kilkee.
Irish Water plans to deliver a new Wastewater Treatment Plant (WwTP) and associated works for Kilkee stopping the discharge of raw sewage.
- Improved water quality in the receiving waters at Intrinsic Bay in compliance with national and EU regulations relating to the treatment of wastewater
- Enhanced environmental amenity of Kilkee
- Protection of recreational swimming, fishing, boating and sightseeing waters
- Provision for social and economic development and future growth within the Kilkee area
- A new Wastewater Treatment Plant
- An upgraded pumping station
- New rising main to transfer treated wastewater to existing outfall
- Testing and commissioning of the works
Works Completed and Next Steps
- The existing Victoria Pumping Station has undergone significant upgrade works including the installation of new pumps and associated equipment
- Further works at the station are ongoing which will improve the security of the energy supply to nearby housing development
- The upgraded Victoria Pumping Station electrical equipment has been sized to accommodate the new wastewater pumping station and accommodate future population growth in the local area
- This project is currently in the design and pre-planning stage, with an Environmental Impact Assessment Report (EIAR) required for the site
- We will maintain contact with the community in Kilkee in advance of and throughout the works
For further information you can contact the Project Team at ClareUWW@water.ie.