Gweedore Sewerage Scheme
Irish Water progressing the innovative Demonstration Project for the Gweedore Sewerage Scheme.
Irish Water is progressing a Demonstration Project as the first phase of the Gweedore Sewerage scheme. This will include constructing a pressure sewer pipe network and installing pods at 40 properties. The collected wastewater will then be treated at the existing Údaras na Gaeltachta wastewater treatment plant.
This innovative new sewerage scheme will ultimately lead to a reduction on the reliance of septic tanks in the area. This will reduce untreated wastewater in the environment by having enhanced treatment of wastewater
What is involved?
- Wastewater from the house or business flows into the unit shown below.
- When the amount of wastewater reaches a certain level, a switch activates a grinder in the pump that softens the wastewater.
- The wastewater is then pumped through a small pipe away to the new pipe network.
- The wastewater will flow along this pipe network for treatment in the upgraded Údaras Wastewater Treatment Plant.
- Irish Water is currently constructing the pressure sewer network associated with the Demonstration Project
- Following completion of these works, installation of the pods and associated works will take place at individual properties
For further information you can contact the Project Team at Gweedore@water.ie