Curryglass Water Main Replacement
National Leakage Reduction Programme
Uisce Éireann, in partnership with Cork County Council, has replaced problematic water mains in Curryglass, Newtownshandrum, to improve security of supply, reduce high levels of leakage and improve water quality.
These works were carried out as part of Uisce Éireann’s National Leakage Reduction Programme. The 2900m section of works were carried out between Newtown Close, and Blossomville. The works were carried out on behalf of Uisce Éireann by Coffey Northumbrian Ltd.
A Reliable Water Supply
- Replacement of water mains and service connections will reduce the instances of bursts and water outages and will ensure a reliable supply of water to customers and local businesses in the area
- Replacement of water mains and service connections will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground
Improved Operation and Maintenance
- These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future
- The works involve the initial replacement of over 2900 metres of problematic pipes prone to bursts with polyethylene (plastic) pipes
- The works will also involve laying new water service connections from the public water main in the road to customers’ property boundaries and connecting it to the customers’ water supply