Church Street Water Mains Replacement
National Leakage Reduction Programme
Irish Water, in partnership with Kerry County Council, is replacing problematic water mains on Church Street, Listowel, Kerry to improve security of supply, reduce high levels of leakage and improve water quality.
Irish Water is investing over €500 million between 2017- 2021 to reduce leakage and replace old pipes on the public water network. The benefits of this programme are:
- Replacing old pipes to reduce drinking water lost by leakage
- Fixing leaks to reduce disruption from bursts and outages
- Improving water pressure & quality
- Delivering savings on operation and maintenance of the network
The works involve the replacement of 320 metres of problematic water mains. The programme to replace the water mains on Church Street is due to commence in mid May. These works are being carried out as part of Irish Water’s National Leakage Reduction Programme.
The section of works will take place on Church Street from the junction with Library Road to the junction of Church Street and Courthouse Road. The works will also involve laying new water service connections from the public water main in the road to customers’ property boundaries and connecting it to the customers’ water supply. Where the existing service connections on the public side are lead these will be replaced as part of this improvement work.
The works will be carried out by Kerry County Council and are expected to be completed within 6 weeks
What are the benefits of the works?
The benefits of the leakage reduction works include:
• Reduced Leaks – Replacement of water mains and service connections will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground.
• A Reliable Water Supply – Replacement of water mains and service connections will reduce the instances of bursts and water outages and will ensure a reliable supply of water to customers and local businesses in the area.
• Improved Operation and Maintenance – These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future
Will customers be affected by these works?
Areas of work will be limited to short sections to minimise impact on customers.
Traffic management may be in place during this time. Local and emergency traffic will be maintained at all times however a diversion will be in place for a short duration when works reach the junction of Church Street and Courthouse Road.
The works may involve some short-term water shut offs and the project team will ensure that customers are given a minimum of 48 hours notice prior to any planned water shut offs.
We understand that this type of work can be inconvenient and works crews will make every effort to minimise any disruption these necessary works cause.