Castletownbere Sewerage Scheme
Works on the new sewerage scheme in Castletownbere have commenced which will end the discharge of untreated sewage to Bantry Bay.
Irish Water, working in partnership with Cork County Council, is delighted to announce that works on the Castletownbere Sewerage Scheme commenced in February 2021. Castletownbere is the main town on the Beara Peninsula, a busy port and centre for walking. The practice of discharging untreated wastewater to the harbour is no longer acceptable and Irish Water intends to rectify this problem in conjunction with Cork County Council by constructing a new Wastewater Treatment Plant and network infrastructure to ensure that wastewater discharging to Bantry Bay meets appropriate discharge standards. The new Wastewater Treatment Plant will bring benefits to Castletownbere in terms of health, integrity of the environment and improved water quality for all. This project will stop the discharge of over 1,700 wheelie bins of raw sewage into Bantry Bay per day.
- The new Wastewater Treatment Plant will bring benefits to Castletownbere in terms of health, integrity of the environment and improved water quality for all
- Water quality in Bantry Bay will improve significantly
- Cleaner water will enhance Castletownbere’s amenity value and act as a platform for social and economic development
- The project includes the capacity for future growth in the area
- The project will assist with ensuring that the water quality standards set down by regulatory bodies will be achieved
What is involved as part of the project?
- The project is being delivered by Glan Agua MEIC on behalf of Irish Water
- Construction of a new wastewater treatment plant (WWTP) that will serve a population equivalent of 2,200 which equates to stopping 1700 wheelie bins of raw sewage being discharged to Bantry Bay per day. The preferred site is located at Drom South
- Construction of 4 new wastewater pumping stations across Castletownbere
- Construction of 750m of new sewer pipelines and 1,700m of rising mains to transport untreated wastewater to the proposed new wastewater treatment plant
What are the next steps?
Works on the project commenced in February 2021 and are on-going.
We will endeavour to keep the local community informed in advance of any of these works and as this essential project progresses. Further details on the timelines shall be provided in the coming weeks.