Carrigadrohid Water Mains Rehabilitation Works
National Leakage Reduction Programme
Irish Water, in partnership with Cork County Council, is replacing problematic water mains prone to bursts in Carrigadrohid, Co. Cork to improve security of supply, provide a more reliable water supply and reduce high levels of leakage.
The works involve the replacement of approximately 2253 metres of aged problematic water mains with new modern pipes. The programme to replace the water mains in Carrigadrohid will commence in early October. These works are being carried out as part of Irish Water’s National Leakage Reduction Programme.
The section of works will take place along local roads L6201 Monallig and L22001 Coolnasoon near Canovee National School.
The works will also involve laying new water service connections from the public water main in the road to customers’ property boundaries and connecting it to the customers’ water supply. Where the existing service connections on the public side are lead these will be replaced as part of this improvement work.
The works will be carried out on behalf of Irish Water by Ward and Burke Limited and are expected to be completed by end of December 2022.
What are the benefits of the works?
The benefits of the leakage reduction works include:
• A Reliable Water Supply – Replacement of water mains and service connections will reduce the instances of bursts and water outages and will ensure a reliable supply of water to customers and local businesses in the area.
• Reduced Leaks – Replacement of water mains and service connections will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground.
• Improved Operation and Maintenance – These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future.
Traffic management and road closures
To complete the works in a safe and efficient manner, road closures are required for the duration of construction. The road closure times granted by Cork County Council in conjunction with An Garda Síochana will be in place for 24-hours a day on the below dates:
• L6201 – Monallig - 08:00hrs Monday 10th October to 18:00hrs Friday 18th November
• L22001 – Coolnasoon - 08:00hrs Monday 7th November to 18:00hrs Friday 9th December.
Local and emergency access will be maintained at either end of the works area and a recommended diversion will be signposted on approach.
Will customers be affected by the works?
Areas of work will be limited to short sections to minimise impact on customers. The works may involve some short-term water interruptions and the project team will ensure that customers are given a minimum of 48 hours’ notice prior to any planned water interruptions.
We understand that this type of work can be inconvenient and works crews will make every effort to minimise any disruption these necessary works cause.
Residents and businesses in the areas to benefit from the planned improvements will been notified directly.
Details of any supply interruptions associated to this project will be updated regularly on the Supply and Service Updates section of the Irish Water website.
Customers can phone Irish Water on 1800 278 278 if they have any questions about the project.