Carrick on Shannon First Fix Free
National Leakage Reduction Programme
Irish Water undertaking extensive leak investigation and repair works across Carrick on Shannon town County Leitrim to improve security of supply for local customers and businesses and reduce high levels of leakage.
Irish Water, in partnership with Leitrim County Council, are working closely together to find and repair leaks in the water network across Carrick on Shannon. The programme to find and fix leaks is commencing this week in an effort to reduce leakage on the South Leitrim Regional Water Supply Scheme. These works are being carried out as part of Irish Water’s national Leakage Reduction Programme.
A reliable water supply
- Replacing the ageing water mains and service connections and will reduce the instances of bursts and water outages on Patricks Street and Chapel Avenue and will ensure a reliable supply of water to customers and local businesses in the area
- Replacing the old water mains and service connections will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground
Improved operation and maintenance
- These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future
- These works involve surveying of District Metering Areas, ‘Find and Fix’ scheme and the ‘First Fix Free’ scheme
District Metering Area review
- This involves the review of district meters on the public water main to monitor water usage
Find & Fix Scheme
- This involves leak detection crews undertaking surveys using sounding equipment and other leak detection techniques on footpaths and other public areas
First Fix Free Scheme
- Data obtained from reading the meters installed during the domestic metering programme allows us to identify unusual water usage patterns, such as a constant flow of water and associate leaks to a particular property, thereby reducing the time required for leak investigation