Caragh Lake Water Treatment Plant Upgrade
Uisce Éireann is upgrading the water treatment plant at Caragh Lake to provide a clean and safe water source to customers in the area.
Uisce Éireann, working in partnership with Kerry County Council, is completing works to improve the quality of water for the Caragh Lake Water Supply Scheme in West Kerry. This investment will benefit over 1,800 customers, ensuring the delivery of a clean, safe drinking water source.
The existing water treatment process at the plant was inadequate due to the formation of elevated concentrations of Trihalomethanes (THMs) and other contaminants above the drinking water standards. The water treatment system at the plant is being upgraded to improve the drinking water quality for the area. This project is being delivered by EPS Group Limited on behalf of Uisce Éireann.
What is involved?
- Upgrading the water treatment plant to provide more advanced treatment processes to mitigate against various contaminants and improve the quality of water supplied.
- Upgrading the treatment plant to include Dissolved Air Flotation and Filtration (DAFF) units and pressure filters.
- Installing a mixing tank and associated ancillary equipment.
- Enable the removal of the Caragh Lake Water Supply from the EPA’s Remedial Action List (RAL).
- Safeguard water supplies for the area.
- Improve water quality and water treatment standards.
- Ensure compliance with current drinking water quality regulations.