Bundoran Wastewater Treatment Plant
Uisce Éireann has invested €9 million in the completion of the Bundoran Wastewater Treatment Plant. This project has stopped the discharge of the equivalent of 9,600 wheelie bins of raw sewage per day into the sea. The practice of discharging untreated wastewater is not acceptable and Uisce Éireann has rectified this problem in conjunction with Donegal County Council and Veolia Water.
This project was undertaken alongside newly completed wastewater treatment plants in Killybegs, Convoy and Glencolumbkille, these four wastewater projects total an investment of €25 million.
What did this project involve?
- The construction of a new wastewater treatment plant
- Refurbishment of the existing main pumping station and construction of a storm water storage tank
- Construction of a new West End Pumping Station and rising main
- The construction of approximately 2.2km of gravity foul sewers
- This will bring benefits to Bundoran in terms of health and integrity of the environment
- This completed project will improve the water quality in the bathing waters for surfers and swimmers
- Cleaner water will enhance amenity value and act as a platform for social and economic development
- This project will accommodate an increase in the local population and will facilitate future growth in the area