Bantry Town Water Main Replacement
Irish Water, working in partnership with Cork County Council, is replacing problematic cast iron water mains in Bantry town centre to improve security of supply, reduce leakage and improve water quality.
The locations to benefit from these mains improvement works in Bantry town centre are Main Street, Barrack Street and Market Street.
The existing pipes will be replaced with new modern high density polyethylene (plastic) pipes. The main construction works will be carried out in sequentially in order to minimise any disruption to businesses and residents in the areas. The works are scheduled to be undertaken as follows:
- Main Street (estimated start beginning of March 2019 to end March 2019)
- Barrack Street (estimated start beginning April 2019 to end April 2019)
- Market Street (estimated start mid April 2019 to early May 2019)
These works will be carried out by Coffey Northumbrian Ltd. in partnership with Cork County Council on behalf of Irish Water.
A Reliable Water Supply
- Replacement of water mains and service connections will reduce the instances of bursts and water outages and will ensure a reliable supply of water to customers and local businesses in the area
- Replacement of water mains and service connections will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground
Improved Water Quality
- Removing existing old cast iron and lead from the public water network and replacing them with new pipes will reduce the risk of contamination
Improved Operation and Maintenance
- These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future
- The water mains replacement works will involve the decommissioning and replacement of approximately 395 metres of problematic aging cast iron water mains
- The works will also involve laying new water service connections from the public water main in the road to customers’ property boundaries and connecting it to the customers’ water supply
- Where the existing service connections on the public side are lead these will be replaced as part of this improvement work