Ballyboden Water Treatment Plant Upgrade
Water Supply Project
This €10.5 million project involved the upgrade of the Ballyboden Water Treatment Plant.
The original Ballyboden Water Treatment Plant is located within a 25 acre site situated on Stocking Lane, Rathfarnham, Dublin 16. Ballyboden Water Treatment Plant supplies treated water to customers in Dublin City, Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown and South Dublin County. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) issued a direction under the Drinking Water Regulations to cease the uncovered storage of treated drinking water at Ballyboden Water Treatment Plant. Open treated water storage can give rise to re-contamination of water following treatment, which presents risks to supply to customers in the Dublin Region.
- Secured future water supply
- Improved drinking water quality
- Allowed for population growth in the area
- Construction of a 16 million litres covered concrete reservoir for storage of treated water
- Upgrade of existing disinfection process
- Decommissioning of existing open storage while maintaining existing reservoir embankments