Athenry Sewerage Scheme Network Upgrade
Uisce Éireann, in partnership with Galway County Council is upgrading the Sewerage Scheme Network in Athenry, Co. Galway.
Uisce Éireann, working in partnership with Galway County Council, is commencing works the Athenry Sewerage Scheme Network Upgrade project.
The €13 million investment involves an upgrade to the wastewater network infrastructure in Athenry, reducing the risk of sewer flooding and addressing non-compliant sewer overflows into the River Clarin. It will also improve the capacity of the sewer network allowing for current and future population growth, and supporting the social and economic development of Athenry and the surrounding area.
These works will ensure the treatment of wastewater is fully compliant with EU Urban Wastewater Treatment Directives and Wastewater Discharge License Emission Limit Values and will eliminate all non-compliant combined sewer overflows within the area.
Coffey Construction (I) Ltd. will carry out the works on behalf of Uisce Éireann. The works are due to commence in March 2023 and will be completed by the end of 2024.
Details of upcoming works:
|Location||Start Date||Duration Remaining||Planned Works||Traffic Management|
|R347 Court Lane
||Installation of new sewerage pipe||Road Closure from 31st October on Court Lane, with sign posted diversion route. Refer to Figure 1. Access to all properties will be maintained where possible|
|R347 Court Lane
Diversion of existing watermain to install new sewerage pipe
|Lane Closure, with temporary traffic signals.|
|R347 (Bridge Street / Court Lane)||03/01/2024
||Installation of new sewerage pipe.
|Ballygarraun South Housing Estate (Off the L3103)
||Expected duration 4 weeks||Installation of new sewerage pipe||Restricted access within the estate during the works
What are the benefits of this project?
The works carried out as part of this project will:
- Reduce the risk of overflows and out of sewer flooding through the provision of increased sewer sizes.
- Improve water quality in the receiving environment by reducing the frequency of storm overflows.
- Increase the capacity of the current sewer network and allow for population growth and development in Athenry.
What is involved as part of this project?
The scope of works included in the project is:
- A new Eastern collector sewer running from the Cuirt Ard/Caheroyan Road junction to a new terminal Pumping Station at Pairc na hAbhainn
- A new South Western collector sewer from Gort Mhaoilir / Small Raheen Estate to the Wastewater Treatment Plant
- A new sewer from North Gate St to connect to the Eastern Collector sewer to allow the removal of an existing stormwater overflow
- Decommissioning the main Caheroyan pumping station
- A rising main from the new pumping station at Pairc Na hAbhainn to the Wastewater Treatment Plant
- Connecting the new and existing sewer network together
Recent wastewater works in Athenry
Uisce Éireann has already invested €5m to increase the capacity of the Athenry Wastewater Treatment Plant to 9,500 Population Equivalent (PE). These works were completed in June 2019.