Annagry Water Main Replacement
National Leakage Reduction Programme
Irish Water, in partnership with Donegal County Council, has replaced ageing water mains in Annagry, Co Donegal to improve security of supply and reduce high levels of leakage.
These works were carried out as part of Irish Water’s national Leakage Reduction Programme. The project to replace problematic water mains in Annagry commenced on 10 December 2018. The section of works tookplace off the R259 near Annagry. The works were carried out on behalf of Irish Water by Farrans Construction and are were completed in July 2019.
A Reliable Water Supply
- Replacement of water mains and service connections will reduce the instances of bursts and water outages and will ensure a reliable supply of water to customers and local businesses in the area
- Replacement of water mains and service connections will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground
Improved Operation and Maintenance
- These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future
- The works involve the decommissioning and replacement of 490m of aged problematic water mains in Annagry which currently runs through the foreshore with over 870 metres of modern, high density polyethylene (plastic) pipes
- The works will also involve laying new water service connections from the public water main in the road to customers’ property boundaries and connecting it to the customers’ water supply
- Where the existing service connections on the public side are lead these will be replaced as part of this improvement work