Environment & Planning
Strategic Infrastructure Development Planning Application
In June 2018, Irish Water submitted a planning application for strategic infrastructure development to An Bord Pleanála seeking permission to further progress the upgrade of the Ringsend Wastewater Treatment Plant (WwTP).
In April 2019, Irish Water was granted planning permission by An Bord Pleanála to further progress the upgrade of the Ringsend WWTP. This further upgrade includes the works required to facilitate the use of Aerobic Granular Sludge (AGS) technology, to omit the previously permitted long sea outfall tunnel and to upgrade the sludge treatment facilities at Ringsend, Dublin 4, and to provide for a Regional Biosolids Storage Facility in Newtown, Dublin 11.
Guide to planning application document
The planning application consists of two primary components:
- Component 1: Ringsend WwTP, Pigeon House Road, Dublin 4: Permission is sought for the further development of the Ringsend Wastewater Treatment Plant comprising revisions and alterations to the 2012 approval.
- Component 2: Regional Biosolids Facility: Permission is also sought for the development of a Regional Biosolids Storage Facility at Newtown, North Road, Dublin 11.
An Environmental Impact Assessment Report and a Natura Impact Statement have been prepared and accompany the planning application.
The Environmental Impact Assessment Report for the Proposed Upgrade Project consists of the following five volumes:
- Volume 1 - Non-Technical Summary
- Volume 2 - Project Description and Overarching Documents
- Volume 3 - Ringsend Wastewater Treatment Plant (WwTP)
- Volume 4 - Regional Biosolids Storage Facility (RBSF)
- Volume 5 - Drawings
In January 2018, following a four week period of statutory consultation, An Bord Pleanala granted a request by Irish Water, under Section 146B of the Planning and Development Act 2000, for an alteration to construction site compounds, permitted by An Bord Pleanála for the Ringsend Wastewater Treatment Plant extension (SID Ref PL29N.YA0010).
Details of the request can be viewed below