Glin Sewerage Scheme
Irish Water is planning to construct a new wastewater treatment plant in Glin, Co. Limerick
Irish Water, working in partnership with Limerick City and County Council, is progressing with plans for the proposed Glin Sewerage Scheme in Co. Limerick. This project involves the construction of a new wastewater treatment plant and sewerage infrastructure and will eliminate the discharge of untreated wastewater into the Shannon Estuary.
What is involved?
- Construction of a new wastewater treatment plant, which will serve a population equivalent of approximately 1,100
- Construction and upgrade to existing infrastructure including pumping station and sewer pipelines
- Better health and integrity of the environment
- Improved water quality in the Shannon Estuary
- Protection of recreational waters for swimming, surfering, fishing, boating and sightseeing
- Cleaner water will enhance Glin’s amenity value and act as a platform for social and economic development to the area
- New wastewater treatment plant and infrastructure will be sized to accommodate future population growth
- Ensure compliance with national and EU regulations relating to the treatment of wastewater