Simple steps to winterproof your home can help avoid issues with your water as the cold weather arrives
01 December 2023
With Christmas approaching and temperatures dropping, now is the time to take some simple steps to winterproof your home and prevent issues with your water during cold weather.
Uisce Éireann is sharing easy tips to prevent freezing pipes, leaks, and damaged heating systems, while also helping protect our precious water supplies.
By following these simple steps, homeowners can save time, money and stress - and focus on the things that really matter this festive season.
“Christmas is a time for joy and celebration, and the last thing anyone wants is to deal with leaks and water emergencies,” said Margaret Attridge, spokesperson for Uisce Éireann. “That’s why we’re urging homeowners to take action now and winterproof their homes.”
To help homeowners in their winterproofing efforts, Uisce Éireann is launching a social media campaign and a dedicated Winterproofing webpage. Here customers can find comprehensive advice and practical tips to prevent leaks, conserve water, and make the most of their heating systems during the colder months. Tips include:
- Insulate water tanks and pipes: Exposed pipes and tanks are particularly vulnerable to freezing. Insulating them with lagging material can help prevent heat loss and keep pipes from freezing
- Service your boiler: A well-maintained boiler is essential for efficient heating and can help reduce energy bills. Uisce Éireann recommends having your boiler serviced regularly by an accredited plumber
- Fix dripping taps: We recommend you always fix any dripping taps but pay particular attention to external dripping taps in winter as water from them can freeze on the ground and can cause people to slip and injure themselves.
- Check your inside stop valve: The inside stop valve is the main isolation valve for your water supply. It's important to make sure you can easily locate and operate the stop valve in case of a leak
- Minimise draughts: Cold air from outside can cause pipes to freeze inside. Draught-proof your home by sealing gaps around windows and doors.
In addition to these measures, Uisce Éireann encourages both the public and businesses to take responsibility for their water usage and contribute to keeping demand at sustainable levels. Simple actions like checking your premises for leaks, reporting leaks in the public network, and being mindful of water use in businesses can make a big difference.
“It's not only about saving money and preventing damages at home, but also about ensuring a sustainable water supply for everyone in our community,” Margaret added.
“We know that the demand for water tends to increase significantly as we get closer to Christmas, so by following these simple steps homeowners and businesses can really make a difference and help ensure the taps keep flowing for all.”
Visit our Winterproofing page, or follow Uisce Éireann on X, Instagram or Facebook for lots of useful water-saving tips. To report a leak or any issues with their water supply, customers can also get in touch with our customer care team 24/7 at 1800 278 278.