Sewer and drain flooding
Has your property been flooded by a public sewer? Please call Irish Water immediately on 1850 278 278.
Public sewer flooding
Irish Water is responsible for the maintenance of the public foul water system and will clear any blockages that are occurring within the public sewer.
If sewage flooding is on the public side we will have it cleared as a matter of urgency. This is generally within 24 hours of it being reported.
Private side flooding
If the issue isn’t fixed within 24 hours it may be because the problem is not located in a public sewer. If it is investigated and found to be on the private side, responsibility then falls on the affected residents.
Who is responsible
Sewage flooding is usually caused by a blockage in drains, either on the private or public side. How can you tell which is which? Our pipe responsibility diagram shows where the private and public sides are located. If the issue is on the private side then you will need a professional drainage company to clear the blockage.
Types of drains
Sometimes it can be difficult to know what type of drain is flooding and who is responsible.
Storm water drain
- These are usually square shaped.
- They collect rainfall run off.
- Storm drains can flood or overflow in bad weather. This is due to excessive amounts of surface water. They are the responsibility of the Roads Department of the Local Authority.
- It is usually circular, egg shaped or brick culverts of various dimension shapes.
- A combined sewer is where storm and waste water is collected in the one pipe. A combined sewer can intermittently discharge to surface waters, and are designed to operate under storm conditions when the capacity of the downstream system is exceeded.
- These are usually round shaped.
- They collect wastewater that is is sewerage or industrial effluent.
Who is responsible for wastewater issues?
- Irish Water has sole responsibility for the cleaning and maintenance of the public sewer network
- Householders / property owners are responsible for their internal plumbing and the private side pipework leading up to the sewer mains
- If you are connected to a septic tank or a private waste water system we cannot assist you