Waltham Terrace, Blackrock Water Mains Replacement
National Leakage Reduction Programme
Irish Water, in partnership with Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council, is replacing ageing water mains in Blackrock, Co Dublin.
The works involve the replacement of approximately 640 metres of aged cast iron water mains with high density polyethylene (plastic) pipes. The programme to replace problematic water mains in Waltham Terrace, Blackrock, Co Dublin are scheduled to commence in early November 2018. These works are being carried out as part of Irish Water’s national Leakage Reduction Programme.
The works will also involve laying new water service connections from the public water main in the road to customers’ property boundaries and connecting it to the customers’ water supply. Where the existing service connections on the public side are lead these will be replaced as part of this improvement work.
The works will be carried out on behalf of Irish Water by GMC Utilities Group Ltd. and are expected to be completed by mid-December 2018.
A Reliable Water Supply
Replacement of water mains and service connections will reduce the instances of bursts and water outages and will ensure a reliable supply of water to customers and local businesses in the area
Improved Water Quality
- Replacing existing old cast iron and lead from the public water network with new modern pipes will reduce the risk of contamination
- Replacement of water mains and service connections will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground
Improved Operation and Maintenance
- These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future
Affects of works
- Areas of work will be limited to short sections to minimise impact on customers. The works may involve some short-term water shut offs and the project team will ensure that customers are given a minimum of 48 hours notice prior to any planned water shut offs.
- Traffic management may be in place during this time. There may be local diversions in place for the duration of the works. Local and emergency traffic will be maintained at all times.
- We understand that this type of work can be inconvenient and works crews will make every effort to minimise any disruption these necessary works cause.
Residents and businesses in the areas to benefit from the planned improvements have been notified and customers can phone Irish Water on 1850 278 278 if they have any questions about the project.
Irish Water regrets any inconvenience these necessary water network improvements cause. Details of work in the area will be updated regularly on the Water Supply Updates section.
Further information can be found on our Irish Water’s Leakage Reduction Programme page.