Tullow Street Water Main Replacement
National Leakage Reduction Programme
Irish Water replacing ageing water mains in Tullow Street, Carlow to improve security of supply for local customers and businesses, improve water quality and reduce leakage.
Irish Water, working in partnership with Carlow County Council, will begin works to replace ageing water mains on Tullow Street, Co. Carlow. The works are scheduled to commence on 18 June 2018. These water mains renewal works are being carried out as part of Irish Water’s national Leakage Reduction Programme.
A Reliable Water Supply
- Replacing the old water mains with new water mains and service connections will reduce the instances of bursts and water outages and will ensure a reliable supply of water to customers in the area
- Replacement of old water mains and service connections in poor condition will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground
Improved Water Quality
- Removing existing old cast iron and lead from the water network and replacing them with new plastic pipes will reduce the risk of contamination
Improved Operation and Maintenance
- These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future
- Works will involve the decommissioning and replacement of approximately 600 meters of old cast iron water mains on Tullow Street, Carlow
- The existing mains will be replaced with high density polyethylene (plastic) pipes
- The works will also involve laying new water service connections from the public water main in the road to customers’ property boundaries and connecting it to the customers’ water supply
- The works are scheduled to commence on the 18 June and are expected to be completed by late August