Tralee Water Main Replacement - Racecourse Road
National Leakage Reduction Programme
Irish Water, in partnership with Kerry County Council, is replacing problematic water mains and lead services on Racecourse Road, Tralee, to improve water quality and reduce high levels of leakage.
The programme to replace the water mains on the western end of Racecourse Road will commence in June. These works are being carried out as part of Irish Water’s National Leakage Reduction Programme. The works will be carried out on behalf of Irish Water by Coffey Northumbrian Ltd. The construction of the new section of water main is expected to take 5 weeks Following this the service connections to each property will be completed.
A Reliable Water Supply
- Replacing the old water mains with new water mains and service connections will reduce the instances of bursts and water outages and will ensure a reliable supply of water to customers in the area
- Replacement of old water mains and service connections in poor condition will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground
Improved Water Quality
- Removing existing old cast iron and lead from the water network and replacing them with new plastic pipes will reduce the risk of contamination
Improved Operation and Maintenance
- These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future
- The works involve the replacement of over 200 metres of problematic cast iron water mains with polyethylene (plastic) pipes to tackle water quality issues and leakage, and transfer of services to an existing 500m section of water main, decommissioning a total of 700m of problematic water mains
- Once the new water main has been constructed and tested the works will also involve laying new water service connections from the public water main in the road to customers’ property boundaries and connecting it to the customers’ water supply
- It is likely that the existing service connections on the public side are lead these and will be replaced as part of this improvement work