Tibohine Water Mains Replacement
National Leakage Reduction Programme
Irish Water, in partnership with Roscommon County Council, is replacing ageing, problematic water mains, prone to bursts in Tibohine, Co. Roscommon to improve security of supply, reduce high levels of leakage and improve water quality.
Irish Water is investing over €500 million between 2017-2021 to reduce leakage and replace old pipes on the public water network. The benefits of this programme are:
- Replacing old pipes to reduce drinking water lost by leakage
- Fixing leaks to reduce disruption from bursts and outages
- Improving water quality
- Delivering savings on operation and maintenance of the network
Details of the project
The works involve the replacement of approximately 1900 metres of problematic water mains, which have been prone to bursts, with high density polyethylene (plastic) pipes. The programme to replace the water mains in Tibohine, Co. Roscommon will commence at the end of June 2021. These works are being carried out as part of Irish Water’s National Leakage Reduction Programme.
The section of works will take place along the L1244 in Tibohine, from the Lung River to Michael Cooney & Sons Homevalue.
The works will also involve laying new water service connections from the public water main in the road to customers’ property boundaries and connecting it to the customers’ water supply. Where the existing service connections on the public side are lead these will be replaced as part of this improvement work.
The works will be carried out on behalf of Irish Water by Farrans Construction Ltd. and are expected to be completed by end of August 2021.
Additional works taking place are:
- Replacing an additional 2.8km of water mains from Ballaghadeereen to the Old Lung River Bridge, along the L1244, in Tibohine, Co Roscommon. The old water mains were prone to frequent bursts and leakage and caused water supply disruptions for customers in the area.
- The additional works are due to commence at the end August from Ballaghadeereen to the Old Lung River Bridge and are due to be completed by November. Farrans Construction Ltd are contracted to carry out the work on behalf of Irish Water.
What are the benefits of the works?
The benefits of the leakage reduction works include:
• A Reliable Water Supply – Replacement of water mains and service connections will reduce the instances of bursts and water outages and will ensure a reliable supply of water to customers and local businesses in the area.
• Reduced Leaks – Replacement of water mains and service connections will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground.
• Improved Operation and Maintenance – These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future.
Will customers be affected by the works?
To facilitate safe delivery of the works there will be some traffic management in place during delivery, with stop/go traffic lights in place. Local and emergency traffic will be maintained at all times.
The works may involve some short-term water shut offs and the project team will ensure that customers are given a minimum of 48 hours notice prior to any planned water shut offs.
We understand that this type of work can be inconvenient and works crews will make every effort to minimise any disruption these necessary works cause.