Staleen Water Treatment Plant Upgrade & Pipeline Project
Water Supply Project
Irish Water has completed works to provide a safe and secure drinking water supply for over 70,000 people in South Louth and East Meath.
Irish Water, working in partnership with Louth County Council, has invested €29 million to improve the water supply serving the Drogheda, South Louth and East Meath areas. The works have provided enhanced treatment facilities at Staleen Water Treatment Plant, upgraded the associated Roughgrange Pumping Station and replaced a critical watermain which supplies raw water to the treatment plant. This investment will benefit a population of over 70,000 people, ensuring the delivery of a safe and secure drinking water supply.
The Staleen Water Treatment Plant is the primary drinking water production facility serving Drogheda, South Louth and East Meath. The facility comprises of an abstraction from the River Boyne, a raw water pumping station at Roughgrange, a treatment plant at Staleen and storage reservoirs at Donore.
This project has provided enhanced treatment facilities to address water quality risks and to minimise the formation of Trihalomethanes (THMs). A critical watermain supplying the treatment plant has also been replaced. In addition, measures have been implemented to improve the energy efficiency of the pumping station, which is one of Irish Water’s top energy consuming installations. The storage reservoir at Donore has also seen refurbish works carried out.
What was involved as part of this project?
These works were delivered by Murphy Process Engineering Limited on behalf of Irish Water and included the following works:
- Enhanced control and monitoring systems.
- Upgrades to the existing coagulation, flocculation and clarification process.
- Upgrades to the existing filtration process and installation of additional filtration tanks.
- Upgrades to the chemical disinfection process and installation of an Ultra Violet (UV) disinfection unit.
- Installation of pH correction facilities
- Replacement of a critical raw water pumping main.
- Improvement works at the Roughgrange Pumping Station.
- Refurbishment of the Donore Reservoir.
What are the benefits of this project?
The upgraded Staleen Water Treatment plant and new pipeline will:
- Ensure that Drogheda, South Louth and East Meath will have a safe, secure and reliable water supply.
- Remove the South Louth-East Meath Water Supply from the EPA’s Remedial Action List (RAL).
- Improve drinking water quality, in particular for THM compliance.
- Reduce disruptions to the drinking water supply.
- Improve security of the drinking water supply.
- Improve energy efficiency across the installation.