St. Johnston Water Mains Replacement
National Leakage Reduction Programme
Uisce Éireann in partnership with Donegal County Council, has replaced problematic water mains in St. Johnston, Co. Donegal to provide a more reliable water supply, reduce high levels of leakage and improve water quality.
The works involved the replacement of almost 2.9km of aged cast iron water mains with new modern pipes. The programme to replace the water mains in St. Johnston, Co. Donegal commenced in July 2022. These works were carried out as part of Uisce Éireann’s National Leakage Reduction Programme.
The section of works took place between along a number of roads including
- L-1264 Ard Na Mela to Chapel Rd Junction
- L-5354 Chapel Road
- L-5354 Main St Junction to Ard Baithin
- L-12643 Church Street
- L-1264 & L-12644: Church St junction to Railway Rd
- R236 Derry Road: Church View Junction to Ard Baithin
The works also involved laying new water service connections from the public water main in the road to customers’ property boundaries and connecting it to the customers’ water supply.
The works were carried out on behalf of Uisce Éireann by Farrans Construction and were completed by November 2022.
What are the benefits of the works?
The benefits of these leakage reduction works include:
- Reliable Water Supply – Replacement of problematic water mains and service connections will reduce the instances of bursts and interruptions to the water supply reducing disruption for homes and businesses in the area.
- Reduced Leaks – Replacement of problematic water mains and service connections will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground.
- Improved Water Quality – Removing existing old cast iron and lead from the public water network and replacing them with new pipes will reduce the risk of contamination.
- Improved Operation and Maintenance – These works will deliver efficiencies including cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future.
Will customers be affected by the works?
Areas of work will be limited to short sections to minimise impact on customers. For the safe delivery of works, traffic management will be in place with temporary traffic light and lane closures along the R236 Derry Road. Road closures will be in place for all remaining sections during the works.
The works may involve some short-term interruptions to the water supply. The project team will ensure that customers are given a minimum of 48 hours notice prior to any planned interruption. We understand that this type of work can be inconvenient. Works crews will make every effort to minimise any disruption these necessary works cause.