Skerries Water Mains Replacement
National Leakage Reduction Programme
Irish Water, in partnership with Fingal County Council, has replaced ageing water mains in Skerries, Co. Dublin.
The project involved the replacement of over 2.9 kilometres of aged and problematic water mains with new modern high density polyethylene (plastic) pipes in Skerries, Co. Dublin. The works were carried out as part of Irish Water’s National Leakage Reduction Programme.
Phase 1: Rush Road (R128) from Shenick Road towards Thomastown
This section of works due to commence in mid October 2019 is expected to be completed by the end of December 2019. This section of the works involves laying 2 kilometres of new water mains. The works will also involve laying new water service connections from the public water main in the road to customers’ property boundaries and connecting it to the customers’ water supply.
Phase 2: Miller’s Lane, Dublin Road, Newtown Parks and Guillemot
This section of works commenced in mid-September 2020 and involves laying 600 meters of new water mains. The works will also involve laying new water service connections from the public water main in the road to customers’ property boundaries and connecting it to the customers’ water supply. The works are being carried out on behalf of Irish Water by GMC Utilities Group Ltd and are expected to be completed by the end of November 2020.
A Reliable Water Supply
Replacement of water mains and service connections will reduce the instances of bursts and water outages and will ensure a reliable supply of water to customers and local businesses in the area
- Replacement of water mains and service connections will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground
Improved Operation and Maintenance
- These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future
Affects of works
- Areas of work will be limited to short sections to minimise impact on customers. Traffic management will be in place during this time. Local and emergency traffic will be maintained at all times.
- The works may involve some short-term water shut offs and the project team will ensure that customers are given a minimum of 48 hours notice prior to any planned water shut offs.
- We understand that this type of work can be inconvenient and works crews will make every effort to minimise any disruption these necessary works cause.