Shrule Water Mains Replacement
Leakage Reduction Programme
Irish Water, in partnership with Mayo County Council, has replaced old problematic water mains in Shrule, Co.Mayo to provide a more reliable water supply and reduce high levels of leakage.
Irish Water is investing over €500 million between 2017-2021 to reduce leakage and replace old pipes on the public water network.
- A Reliable Water Supply - Replacement of water mains and service connections will reduce the instances of bursts and water outages and will ensure a reliable supply of water to customers and local businesses in the area.
- Reduced Leaks - Replacement of water mains and service connections will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground.
- Improved Operation and Maintenance - These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future.
- The works involve the replacement of approximately 941 meters of old problematic water mains with high density polythylene (plastic) pipes.
- The programme to replace the water mains in Shrule will commence in early November 2020.
- The section of rehabilitation works will take place along St Marys Road in Shrule.
- The works will also involve laying new water service connections from the public water main in the road to customers' property boundaries and connecting it to the customer's water supply.Where existing service connections on the public side are lead these will be replaced as part of this improvement work.
- The works will be carried out on behalf of Irish Water by Farrans Construction Ltd. and are expected to be completed by December 2020.
Will customers be affected by the works?
To facilitate the safe delivery of the works, there will some traffic management in place and a road closure will be required from the 16th of November 2020 for a period of four weeks on St Marys Road. The community will be notified of this in advance. Alternative routes will be available and diversions routes will be clearly sign-posted. Local and emergency access will be maintained at all times.
The works may involve some short-term water shut offs and the project team will ensure that customers are given a minimum of 48 hour's notice prior to any planned water shut offs.
We understand that this type of work can be inconvenient and works crews will make every effort to minimise any disruption these necessary works cause.
For further information you can contact the Project Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.