Shannon Sewer Upgrade
Upgrading the sewer network in Shannon to remove blockages and address structural defects.
Irish Water, working in partnership with Clare County Council, is investing €2.1 million to upgrade the sewer network in Shannon. Underground System and Sewer Repair Limited is working on our behalf to deliver this project.
This project is currently on-going, with the sewer upgrade works scheduled for completion in summer 2019.
Think before you flush
- Irish Water is supporting Clean Coasts to raise awareness and reduce these issues through the ‘Think Before You Flush’ and ‘Think Before You Pour’ campaigns.
- Think Before You Flush is a public awareness campaign about the problem sanitary products and other items can cause in our marine environment and our wastewater systems if they are flushed down the toilet.
- Clean and identify any structural defects of the sewers
- Reduce the likelihood of sewer collapses and blockages
- Reduce potential sewer flooding and odour issues
- Improve the performance level of the sewer network
- Cleaning the sewer network in order to undertake an accurate inspection and remove any blockages caused by inappropriate items (e.g. wet wipes, cotton pads, fats, oils and greases etc.)
- Undertaking CCTV surveys of the sewer network to determine their condition and the extent of defects, with 8.5 km of pipelines surveyed to date
- Relining any defects of the sewer through the installation of liners, with approximately 7km of sewers to be rehabilitated
- Works are being carried out using non-dig technology to reduce impacts to residents, the general public, businesses, schools and to minimise traffic disruption