Screggan Water Main Replacement
National Leakage Reduction Programme
Irish Water replacing ageing water mains in Screggan, Tullamore, Co. Offaly to improve security of supply for local customers and to reduce leakage.
Irish Water, working in partnership with Offaly County Council, has begun works to replace problematic ageing water mains in Screggan, Tullamore, Co. Offaly. The works commenced on 16 May 2018. These water mains renewal works are being carried out as part of Irish Water’s national Leakage Reduction Programme.
A Reliable Water Supply
- Replacement of water mains and service connections will reduce the instances of bursts and water outages and will ensure a reliable supply of water to customers and local businesses in the area
- Replacement of water mains and service connections will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground
Improved Operation and Maintenance
- These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future
- The works in Screggan will involve the decommissioning and replacement of ageing water mains along the L2011from the junction with the N52 for 5.2 kilometres towards Rahan village
- The existing pipes will be replaced with new modern high density polyethylene plastic pipes
- The works will also involve laying new water service connections from the public water main in the road to customers’ property boundaries and connecting it to the customer’s water supply
- The works are expected to be completed by the end of August