Old Sligo Road Water Main Replacement
National Leakage Reduction Programme
Uisce Éireann, in partnership with Mayo County Council, is replacing ageing water mains on the Old Sligo Road, Co. Mayo to improve security of supply and reduce high levels of leakage.
The programme to replace the water mains on the Old Sligo Road commenced on 4 March 2019. These works are being carried out as part of Uisce Éireann’s National Leakage Reduction Programme. The section of works will take place on the N59 Old Sligo Road, North East of Ballina, Co. Mayo. The works will be carried out on behalf of Uisce Éireann by Farrans Construction Ltd and are expected to be completed by April 2019.
A Reliable Water Supply
- Replacement of water mains and service connections will reduce the instances of bursts and water outages and will ensure a reliable supply of water to customers and local businesses in the area
- Replacement of water mains and service connections will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground
Improved Operation and Maintenance
- These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future
- The works involve the replacement of over 760 metres of problematic water mains with high density polyethylene (plastic) pipes
- The works will also involve laying new water service connections from the public water main in the road to customers’ property boundaries and connecting it to the customers’ water supply
- Where the existing service connections on the public side are lead these will be replaced as part of this improvement work