Navan water mains replacement
National Leakage Reduction Programme
Irish Water, in partnership with Meath County Council, is improving the water network in Navan to provide a more reliable water supply.
The project to replace the problematic trunk water main from Proudstown Reservoir to Navan Town commenced in November 2019. These works were carried out as part of Irish Water’s National Leakage Reduction Programme.
The works involved the construction of approximately 3.6km of 500mm ductile iron trunk watermain along Donaghmore Lane and along the N51 Slane Road to Navan Town. There are also upgrades to the water mains in Navan with installation of 500 meters of high density polyethylene water mains on Flowerhill and a further 2.5km of 250mm water mains on the Proudstown Road.
There will be upgrades to the water mains in Navan Town with installation of 500 metres of new modern high density polyethylene water mains on Flowerhill and a further 1km of water mains on the Proudstown Road.
These works were delivered by GMC Utilities on behalf of Irish Water and were completed in May 2021.
This project was delivered in phases as follows:
Phase 1 - Donaghmore Lane (L7415) from junction with N51 Slane Road to the R162 Proudstown Road
- This section of works involved construction of approximately 1.6km kilometres of new trunk water main.
Phase 2: N51 Slane Road from Donaghmore Lane to ‘The Round O Roundabout’
This section of works involved construction of approximately 2km of trunk water main.
Phase 3 - Flowerhill
- This section of works involved construction of approximately 0.5km of trunk main.
Phase 4: Proudstown Road
- This section of works involved the construction of approximately 2.5km of trunk main.
Provision of a more reliable water supply
- This project will improve the resilience of the water network in Navan town, increasing connectivity to enable re-routing of water supply as required. It will also support continued growth within the community
Improved Operation and Maintenance
- These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future.
Affects of works
To facilitate the safe delivery of works, there was some necessary short term local road closures and traffic management in place during delivery. Customers were notified in advance Local and emergency access was maintained at all times. Diversion routes were in place and clearly signposted.
- Donaghmore Lane from the junction with N51 Slane Road to the R162 Proudstown Road was delivered under a road closure and customers were notified in advance.
- N51 Slane Road from Donaghmore Lane to ‘The Round O Roundabout’ was delivered under traffic management with a road closure required on St Mary’s Park to ‘The Round O Roundabout.
- Flowerhill was delivered under a lane closure with night time road closures required to facilitate major connections.
- Proudstown Road – was delivered under a stop / go traffic system to facilitate the works.
The works involved some short-term water shut offs and the project team ensured that customers are given a minimum of 48 hours’ notice prior to any planned water shut offs.
We understand that this type of work was inconvenient and works crews made every effort to minimise any disruption these necessary works caused.
Residents and businesses in the areas to benefit from the planned improvements were notified directly and customers can phone Irish Water on 1800 278 278 if they have any questions about the project.
Irish Water regrets any inconvenience these necessary water network improvements may have caused.