Navan water mains replacement
National Leakage Reduction Programme
Irish Water, in partnership with Meath County Council, is improving the water network in Navan to provide a more reliable water supply.
The project to replace the problematic trunk water main from Proudstown Reservoir to Navan Town will commence in November 2019. These works are being carried out as part of Irish Water’s National Leakage Reduction Programme.
The works involve construction of approximately 2.9km of 500mm ductile iron trunk watermain along Donaghmore Lane and along the N51 Slane Road to Navan Town. The project will also see the commissioning of a further 700 metres of 500mm trunk watermain on the N51 Slane Road.
There will be upgrades to the water mains in Navan Town with installation of 500 metres of new modern high density polyethylene water mains on Flowerhill and a further 1km of water mains on the Proudstown Road.
These works commenced in October 2019 and completion is expected in April 2021.
This project will be delivered in phases as follows:
Phase 1 - Donaghmore Lane (L7415) from junction with N51 Slane Road to the R162 Proudstown Road
- 4 November 2019 until 28 February 2020. The road will be reopened from 20 December 2019 to 2 January 2020 for Chritsmas period.
Phase 2: N51 Slane Road from Donaghmore Road to ‘The Round O Roundabout’
Pipe-laying is underway with works planned to be complete by the end of November 2020. Pipe-laying from St Mary Park to ‘The Round O Roundabout’ will be completed under a road closure commencing 18th May 2020 for approximately 4 weeks.
Phase 3 - Flowerhill
From K to H. This section of works is currently at detailed design stage. Further information will be provided nearer the scheduled construction commencement..
Phase 4: Proudstown Road
- From I to L. This section is planned to be completed in December 2020. Further information will be provided nearer the scheduled construction commencement.
Provision of a more reliable water supply
- This project will improve the resilience of the water network in Navan town, increasing connectivity to enable re-routing of water supply as required. It will also support continued growth within the community
Improved Operation and Maintenance
- These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future.
Affects of works
To facilitate the safe delivery of works, there will be some necessary short term local road closures and traffic management in place during delivery.
- Donaghmore Lane from Proudstown Reservoir to Junction of N51 Slane Road will be delivered under a road closure which will be notified in advance. Local access will be maintained. Diversion routes will be in place and clearly sign posted. The road will reopen over the Christmas period.
- The works may involve some short-term water shut offs and the project team will ensure that customers are given a minimum of 48 hours notice prior to any planned water shut offs.
- We understand that this type of work can be inconvenient and works crews will make every effort to minimise any disruption these necessary works cause.
Residents and businesses in the areas to benefit from the planned improvements will be notified directly and customers can phone Irish Water on 1850 278 278 if they have any questions about the project.
Irish Water regrets any inconvenience these necessary water network improvements may cause. Details of any supply interruptions associated to this project will be updated regularly on the Water Supply Updates section.