N83 Tuam Road Water Main Replacement
National Leakage Reduction Programme
Irish Water, in partnership with Galway County and City Councils, is replacing problematic water mains on the N83 Tuam Road, Galway to provide a more reliable water supply and reduce high levels of leakage.
The programme to replace the water mains on the N83 Tuam Road, Galway will commence late June 2019. These works are being carried out as part of Irish Water’s National Leakage Reduction Programme. The first section of works will take place along the N83 from Polkeen Industrial Estate to Cappanabornia. This will be followed by works to replace over 1.6 kilometres on the N83 between the Bóthar Na Mine exit and the City North Business Park. These works are due to commence in Autumn 2019. The works will be carried out on behalf of Irish Water by Farrans Construction.
A Reliable Water Supply
- Replacing the old water mains with new water mains and service connections will reduce the instances of bursts and water outages and will ensure a reliable supply of water to customers in the area
- Replacement of old water mains and service connections in poor condition will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground
Improved Operation and Maintenance
- These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future
- The works involve the replacement of over 2.6 kilometre of problematic water main with high density polyethylene (plastic) pipes
- The works will also involve laying new water service connections from the public water main in the road to customers’ property boundaries and connecting it to the customers’ water supply
- Where the existing service connections on the public side are lead these will be replaced as part of this improvement work