Mountrath Water Main Replacement - Shannon Street
National Leakage Reduction Programme
Irish Water, in partnership with Laois County Council, is replacing ageing water mains in Shannon Street, Mountrath, Co Laois to provide a more reliable water supply, improve water quality and reduce high levels of leakage.
These works are being carried out as part of Irish Water’s National Leakage Reduction Programme. The works will take place along the lower end of Shannon Street (R430), between Shannon Road and Woodbrook. The works will be carried out on behalf of Irish Water by Ward & Burke Construction Ltd. and are expected to be completed by May 2019.
A reliable water supply
- Replacing the ageing water mains and service connections and will reduce the instances of bursts and water outages on Patricks Street and Chapel Avenue and will ensure a reliable supply of water to customers and local businesses in the area
Improved water quality
- Removing existing old cast iron and lead from the public water network and replacing them with new pipes will reduce the risk of contamination
- Replacing the old water mains and service connections will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground
Improved operation and maintenance
- These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future
- The works involve the replacement of over 262 metres of old cast iron water mains with high density polyethylene (plastic) pipes
- The works will also involve laying new water service connections from the public water main in the road to customers’ property boundaries and connecting it to the customers’ water supply
- Areas of work will be limited to short sections to minimise impact on customers
- Traffic management will be in place during this time