Mallow and Mitchelstown Sewer Upgrade
Upgraded the sewer network in Mallow and Mitchelstown to remove blockages and address structural defects.
Irish Water, working in partnership with Cork County Council, has invested €2 million to upgrade the sewer network in Mallow and Mitchelstown. The sewer upgrades in both of these towns have been carried out by Underground System and Sewer Repair Limited on behalf of Irish Water, with the project now completed.
Think before you flush
- Irish Water is supporting Clean Coasts to raise awareness and reduce these issues through the ‘Think Before You Flush’ and ‘Think Before You Pour’ campaigns.
- Think Before You Flush is a public awareness campaign about the problem sanitary products and other items can cause in our marine environment and our wastewater systems if they are flushed down the toilet.
- Clean and identify any structural defects of the sewers
- Reduce the likelihood of sewer collapses and blockages
- Reduce potential sewer flooding and odour issues
- Improve the performance level of the sewer network
- Cleaned the sewer network in order to undertake an accurate inspection and removed any blockages caused by inappropriate items (e.g. wet wipes, cotton pads, fats, oils and greases etc.)
- Undertaken CCTV surveys of the sewer network to determine their condition and the extent of any defects, with almost 15 km surveyed
- Relined any defects of the sewer through the installation of liners, with approximately 7.8 km of the sewer rehabilitated
- Works were carried out using non-dig technology to reduce impacts to residents, the general public, businesses, schools and to minimise traffic disruption