Lifford Water Main Replacement - St. Johnston
Irish Water, in partnership with Donegal County Council, replaced problematic water mains in St. Johnston, Lifford, Co. Donegal to provide a more reliable water supply and reduce high levels of leakage.
The programme to replace the water mains in St. Johnston, Lifford was carried out as part of Irish Water’s National Leakage Reduction Programme. The works were executed on behalf of Irish Water by Farrans Construction Ltd. and were completed in September 2019.
A Reliable Water Supply
- Replacement of water mains and service connections will reduce the instances of bursts and water outages and will ensure a reliable supply of water to customers and local businesses in the area
- Replacement of water mains and service connections will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground
Improved Operation and Maintenance
- These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future
- The works involve the replacement of over 174 metres of problematic water mains with high density polyethylene (plastic) pipes
- The works will also involve laying new water service connections from the public water main in the road to customers’ property boundaries and connecting it to the customers’ water supply
- Where the existing service connections on the public side are lead these will be replaced as part of this improvement work