Lakeglen Estate, Portlaoise Water Mains Replacement
Leakage Reduction Programme
Irish Water, in partnership with Laois County Council, has replaced old problematic water mains in Lakeglen Estate, Portlaoise, Co.Laois to provide a more reliable water supply and reduce high levels of leakage.
Irish Water is investing over €500 million between 2017-2021 to reduce leakage and replace old pipes on the public water network.
- Improved Water Quality - Removing existing old cast iron and lead from the public water network and replacing them with new pipes will reduce the risk of contamination.
- Reduced Leaks - Replacement of water mains and service connections will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground.
- Improved Operation and Maintenance - These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future.
- The works involve the decommissioning of 599 and replacement of approximately 580 metres of problematic water mains with high density polythylene (plastic) pipes.
- The programme to replace the water mains in Lakeglen Estate will commence in early November 2020.
- The section of rehabilitation works will take place along local road L-80169.
- The works will also involve laying new water service connections from the public water main in the road to customers' property boundaries and connecting it to the customer's water supply. Where the existing service connections on the public side are lead these will be replaced as part of this improvement work.
- The works will be carried out on behalf of Irish Water by Ward and Burke Ltd. and are expected to be completed by December 2020.
Will customers be affected by the works?
Areas of work will be limited to short sections to minimise impact on customers. Traffic management may be in place during this time. Local and emergency traffic will be maintained at all times.
The works may involve some short-term water shut offs and the project team will ensure that customers are given a minimum of 48 hours notice prior to any planned water shut offs.
We understand that this type of work can be inconvenient and works crews will make every effort to minimise any disruption these necessary works cause.
For further information you can contact the Project Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.