Kilteevan Water Main Replacement
National Leakage Reduction Programme
Uisce Éireann replacing ageing water mains in Kilteevan, Roscommon to improve security of supply for local customers, improve pressure and reduce leakage.
Uisce Éireann, working in partnership with Roscommon County Council, will begin works to replace ageing water mains in Kilteevan village, Roscommon. The works are scheduled to commence this week. These water mains renewal works are being carried out as part of Uisce Éireann’s national Leakage Reduction Programme.
- Works will involve the decommissioning and replacement of approximately 850 meters of ageing cast iron mains
- The existing pipes will be replaced with new modern high density polyethylene (plastic) pipes
- Works will also involve laying new water service connections from the public water main in the street/road to customers’ property boundaries and connecting it to the customer’s water supply
- The works will commence this week and are expected to take approximately 8 weeks to complete
A Reliable Water Supply
- Replacement of water mains and service connections will reduce the instances of bursts and water outages and will ensure a reliable supply of water to customers and local businesses in the area
- Replacement of water mains and service connections will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground
Improved water quality
- Removing existing old cast iron from the public water network and replacing them with new plastic pipes will reduce the risk of contamination
Improved operation and maintenance
- These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future