Kilpatrick/Ballyclough Water Mains Replacement
National Leakage Reduction Programme
Irish Water, in partnership with Cork County Council, is replacing ageing, problematic water mains in Kilpatrick/Ballyclough, Co. Cork to provide a more reliable water supply and reduce high levels of leakage.
The works involve the replacement of approximately 3,750 metres of aged problematic water mains with new modern pipes. The programme to replace the water mains in Kilpatrick/Ballyclough will commence in mid-August. These works are being carried out as part of Irish Water’s National Leakage Reduction Programme.
The section of works will take place between the cross at Ballyclough and the T-junction approximately 500m west of Knocknagore/Dromineen. Works will take place on the L5310, L5308 and L53081 roads.
The works will also involve laying new water service connections from the public water main in the road to customers’ property boundaries and connecting it to the customers’ water supply. Where the existing service connections on the public side are lead these will be replaced as part of this improvement work.
The works will be carried out on behalf of Irish Water by Ward and Burke Limited and are expected to be completed by late October.
What are the benefits of the works?
The benefits of the leakage reduction works include:
• A Reliable Water Supply – Replacement of water mains and service connections will reduce the instances of bursts and water outages and will ensure a reliable supply of water to customers and local businesses in the area.
• Reduced Leaks – Replacement of water mains and service connections will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground.
• Improved Operation and Maintenance – These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future.
Traffic management and road closures
To complete the works in a safe and efficient manner, several road closures are required over the construction timeline. The road closure times granted by Cork County Council in conjunction with An Garda Síochana will be in place for 24-hours a day on the below dates:
• L5310 - 08:00hrs Monday 29th August to 18:00hrs Friday 16th September.
• L5308 - 08:00hrs Monday 12th September to 18:00hrs Friday 14th October.
• L53081- 08:00hrs Monday 10th October to 18:00hrs Friday 4th November.
Diversions will be signposted on approach.
Will customers be affected by the works?
Areas of work will be limited to short sections to minimise impact on customers. Traffic management may be in place during this time. Local and emergency traffic will always be maintained. The works may involve some short-term water interruptions and the project team will ensure that customers are given a minimum of 48 hours’ notice prior to any planned water interruptions.
We understand that this type of work can be inconvenient and works crews will make every effort to minimise any disruption these necessary works cause.
Residents and businesses in the areas to benefit from the planned improvements will been notified directly. Details of any supply interruptions associated to this project will be updated regularly on the Supply and Service Updates section of the Irish Water website.
Customers can phone Irish Water on 1800 278 278 if they have any questions about the project.