Kildare Town Backyard Services
National Leakage Reduction Programme
Irish Water replacing ageing water mains and providing new service connections for customers in Kildare town to reduce leakage, improve water quality and ensure a safer more secure supply.
Irish Water, working in partnership with Kildare County Council, will soon begin works to replace ageing back yard water mains and provide new water service connections to customers in Kildare town. These water mains renewal works are being carried out as part of Irish Water’s national Leakage Reduction Programme.
A reliable water supply
- Replacing the ageing water mains and service connections will reduce the instances of bursts and water outages and will ensure a reliable supply of water to customers in the area
- Replacing the old water mains and service connections will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground
Improved Water Quality
- Removing existing old cast iron and lead from the water network and replacing them with new plastic pipes will reduce the risk of contamination
- The works will involve the decommissioning of approximately 3.5 kilometres of problematic old cast iron and lead back yard services
- New water mains will be constructed and new service connections will be installed from the new water main to customers properties
- All lead will be removed and replaced modern high density polyethylene (HDPE) plastic pipes