Howth Water Main Replacement
National Leakage Reduction Programme
Irish Water replacing ageing cast iron water mains in Abbey Street, Kilrock Road and Balscadden Road, Howth to improve security of supply and quality for local customers and businesses and reduce high levels of leakage.
Irish Water, working in partnership with Fingal County Council, will begin works to replace ageing water mains which are prone to bursts and quality issues in Abbey Street, Kilrock Road and Balscadden Road, Howth. The works will begin in May 2018. These water main renewal works are being carried out as part of Irish Water’s national Leakage Reduction Programme.
The Leakage Reduction Programme will see over €500 million invested over four years to reduce leakage and remove problematic pipes from the public water network across the country. These works will help to ensure that we have a clean, safe and reliable water supply now and into the future to support our growing population and economy.
- Involves the decommissioning and replacement of 980 metres of old and damaged cast iron water mains
- The existing problematic pipes will be replaced with new modern high density polyethylene (plastic) pipes
- Works will also involve laying new water service connections from the public water main in the street to customers’ property boundaries connecting it to the customers’ water supply
- Where there is lead on the public side of the service connection this will be removed
A Reliable Water Supply
Replacement of water mains and service connections will reduce the instances of bursts and water outages and will ensure a reliable supply of water to customers and local businesses in the area
Improved Water Quality
- Replacing existing old cast iron and lead from the public water network with new modern pipes will reduce the risk of contamination
- Replacement of water mains and service connections will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground
Improved Operation and Maintenance
- These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future