Gortahork/Falcarragh Water Supply Scheme
Water Supply Project
This €3.8 million upgrade to the Gortahork/ Falcarragh Water Supply Scheme in North Donegal saw the delivery of a new water treatment plant benefiting 5,000 customers.
The project involved the decommissioning of the existing Ardsbeg Water Treatment Plant as the existing plant was not adequate to address the risks to water quality. It included the construction of a new water treatment plant immediately adjacent to the current site. The contract also included a treated water storage reservoir at the treatment plant site, which provides a much improved security of supply for the local residents.
- Improved drinking water quality
- Reduced disruptions to supply
- Improved security of supply
- Will facilitate the removal of the plant from the EPA’s Remedial Action List
- Ensures compliance with requirements set out in the European Union Drinking Water Directive and National Drinking Water Regulations
- Decommissioning of the existing Ardsbeg Water Treatment Plant
- Construction of a new water treatment plant adjacent to the current site
- The new treatment plant includes a robust flocculation, coagulation and filtration process followed by disinfection
- Construction of a treated water storage reservoir at the treatment plant site