Gortahork Water Mains Replacement
National Leakage Reduction Programme
Irish Water, in partnership with Donegal County Council, has replaced problematic rising water mains in Gortahork.
The works involved the replacement of approximately 1746 metres of problematic rising water mains with high density polyethylene (plastic) pipes. The programme to replace these sections of rising water mains to the Cashel reservoir in Gortahork commenced in early September 2019. These works were carried out as part of Irish Water’s National Leakage Reduction Programme.
The section of works will take place along the L1123-1 - Sign posted An Bhealtaine, N56 and R257, Keeldrum Lower -L11533-0.
The works also involved laying new water service connections from the public water main in the road to customers’ property boundaries and connecting it to the customers’ water supply.
The project commenced in early September 2019 and works were completed in January 2020.
A Reliable Water Supply
- Replacement of water mains and service connections reduce the instances of bursts and water outages and will provide a more reliable supply of water to customers and local businesses in the area.
- Replacement of water mains and service connections will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground.
Improved Operation and Maintenance
- These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future.
Affects of works
- To facilitate the safe delivery of works, there will be road closures in place on roads L-1123-1 and L11533 at separate stages of the delivery. The community will be notified of this in advance . Alternative routes will be available and diversions will be clearly sign-posted. Local and emergency access will be maintained at all times.
- Areas of work will be limited to short sections to minimise impact on customers.Traffic management may be in place during this time.
- The works may involve some short-term water shut offs and the project team will ensure that customers are given a minimum of 48 hours notice prior to any planned water shut offs.
Residents and businesses in the areas to benefit from the planned improvements have been notified directly and customers can phone Irish Water on 1850 278 278 if they have any questions about the project.
Irish Water regrets any inconvenience these necessary water network improvements may cause. Details of any supply interruptions associated this project will be updated regularly on the Water Supply Updates section of the Irish Water website.
For further information you can contact the Project Team at email@example.com.