Ferns Water Main Replacement
National Leakage Reduction Programme
Uisce Éireann, in partnership with Wexford County Council, is replacing ageing water mains in Main Street, Ferns, Co Wexford to provide a more reliable water supply, improve water quality and reduce high levels of leakage.
The programme to replace the water mains on Main Street, Ferns, Co Wexford is scheduled to commence in July 2019. These works are being carried out as part of Uisce Éireann’s National Leakage Reduction Programme. The works will be carried out on behalf of Uisce Éireann by Coffey Northumbrian Ltd. and are expected to be completed by the end of September 2019.
A Reliable Water Supply
- Replacing the old water mains with new water mains and service connections will reduce the instances of bursts and water outages and will ensure a reliable supply of water to customers in the area
- Replacement of old water mains and service connections in poor condition will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground
Improved Water Quality
- Removing existing old cast iron and lead from the water network and replacing them with new plastic pipes will reduce the risk of contamination
Improved Operation and Maintenance
- These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future
- The works involve the replacement of over 298 metres of old cast iron water mains with high density polyethylene (plastic) pipes
- The works will also involve laying new water service connections from the public water main in the road to customers’ property boundaries and connecting it to the customers’ water supply
- Areas of work will be limited to short sections to minimise impact on customers
- Traffic management will be in place during this time