Elm Park Avenue Water Mains Replacement
Irish Water, in partnership with Limerick City and County Council, has replaced problematic water mains on Elm Park Avenue, Castletroy, Limerick, to improve security of supply, reduce high levels of leakage and improve water quality.
Irish Water is investing over €500 million between 2017-2021 to reduce leakage and replace old pipes on the public water network.
- A Reliable Water Supply – Replacement of water mains and service connections will reduce the instances of bursts and water outages and will ensure a reliable supply of water to customers and local businesses in the area.
- Reduced Leaks – Replacement of water mains and service connections will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground.
- Improved Operation and Maintenance – These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future.
- The work involves the replacement of approximately 520 metres of problematic water mains with high density polyethylene (plastic) pipes.
- The programme to replace these water mains commenced on Monday, September 14.
- The works are due to be undertaken from the junction of Elm Park Avenue off the Dublin Road to the junction of Elm Park Avenue and Alder Close.
- The works will also involve laying 26 new water service connections from the public water main in the road to customers’ property boundaries and connecting it to the customers’ water supply. Where the existing service connections on the public side are lead these will be replaced as part of this improvement work.
- Works were completed in November 2020.
Will customers be affected by the works?
Areas of work will be limited to short sections to minimise impact on customers. Traffic management may be in place during this time. There may be local diversions in place during the works. Local and emergency traffic will be maintained at all times.
The works may involve some short-term water shut offs and the project team will ensure that customers are given a minimum of 48 hours notice prior to any planned water shut offs.
We understand that this type of work can be inconvenient and works crews will make every effort to minimise any disruption these necessary works cause.
For further information you can contact the Project Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.