Durrus Water Supply Scheme
Water Supply Project
Irish Water has completed works to provide a safe and reliable drinking water source for the Durrus Water Supply Scheme.
Irish Water, working in partnership with Cork County Council, has completed works to improve the water supply for Durrus and the surrounding area. This investment will benefit over 300 customers to ensure the delivery of a clean, safe drinking water supply, and remove this area from the EPA’s Remedial Action List (RAL).
The existing water treatment process at the plant was inadequate due to the formation of elevated concentrations of Trihalomethanes (THMs) and other contaminants above the drinking water standards. The drinking water source has now been replaced with an alternative groundwater source to improve the drinking water quality for the area.
What is involved?
- Developed a new borehole on the site of the existing water treatment plant to replace the drinking water source
- Installed a new borehole pump and associated pipework
- Constructed a new water treatment facility, to include disinfection
- Decommissioned the existing water treatment plant
- Enable the removal of Durrus Water Supply Scheme from the EPA’s Remedial Action List (RAL).
- Improve drinking water quality.
- Safeguard water supplies for the area.