Drumlaght Water Mains Replacement
National Leakage Reduction Programme
Uisce Éireann, in partnership with Donegal County Council, is replacing ageing, problematic water mains in Clareden Drive/Drumlaght, Donegal Town, Co. Donegal to provide a more reliable water supply and reduce high levels of leakage.
The works involve the replacement of over 864 metres of aged problematic water mains with new modern pipes. The programme to replace the water mains in Clareden Drive/Drumlaght, Donegal Town, Co. Donegal will commence in October 2022. These works are being carried out as part of Uisce Éireann’s National Leakage Reduction Programme.
The section of works will take place along:
• the L1995, from the River Eske Water Treatment Plant to the N56 and from the N56 to the Clareden Drive junction with the R267.
• the R267 from the Clareden Drive junction to the Cleary Centre.
The works will also involve laying new water service connections from the public water main in the road to customers’ property boundaries and connecting it to the customers’ water supply. Where the existing service connections on the public side are lead these will be replaced as part of this improvement work.
The works will be carried out on behalf of Uisce Éireann by Farrans Construction and are expected to be completed by December 2022.
What are the benefits of the works?
The benefits of the leakage reduction works include:
• A Reliable Water Supply – Replacement of water mains and service connections will reduce the instances of bursts and water outages and will ensure a reliable supply of water to customers and local businesses in the area.
• Reduced Leaks – Replacement of water mains and service connections will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground.
• Improved Operation and Maintenance – These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future.
Will customers be affected by the works?
Areas of work will be limited to short sections to minimise impact on customers. To deliver these works efficiently and safely a road closure along the L1995 has been granted by Donegal County Council and will be in place for the duration of the works. Diversions will be in place during this time. Temporary traffic lights will be in place along section of the works. Local and emergency access will always be maintained.
The works may involve some short-term water interruptions and the project team will ensure that customers are given a minimum of 48 hours’ notice prior to any planned water interruptions.
We understand that this type of work can be inconvenient and works crews will make every effort to minimise any disruption these necessary works cause.
Residents and businesses in the areas to benefit from the planned improvements have been notified directly. Details of any supply interruptions associated to this project will be updated regularly on the Supply and Service Updates section of the Uisce Éireann website.
Customers can phone Uisce Éireann on 1800 278 278 if they have any questions about the project.