Drimoleague Water Supply Scheme
Uisce Éireann has completed works to provide a safe and reliable drinking water source for the Drimoleague Water Supply Scheme.
Uisce Éireann, working in partnership with Cork County Council, has completed works to improve the water supply for Drimoleague and the surrounding area. This investment will benefit over 730 people to ensure the delivery of a clean, safe drinking water supply, and remove this area from the EPA’s Remedial Action List (RAL). The existing water treatment process at the plant was inadequate due to the formation of elevated concentrations of Trihalomethanes (THMs) above the drinking water standards. The upgrades will provide a more advanced water treatment process, improving the drinking water quality, benefitting the people of Drimoleague and the surrounding area.
What was involved?
- Upgraded the filtration and disinfection systems at the existing water treatment plant
- This included the installation of pressure filters, ultra violet (UV) disinfection system and granular activated carbon (GAC) filters.
- Enabled the removal of the Drimoleague Water Supply Scheme from the EPA’s Remedial Action List (RAL)
- Improved drinking water quality
- Safeguards water supplies for the area