Donegal Disinfection Programme
National Disinfection Programme
The National Disinfection Programme ensures Donegal will continue to have safe and secure drinking water. We have been working with Donegal County Council to complete a detailed assessment of the water treatment plants in Donegal.
About this project
Veolia Limited is working on behalf of Uisce Éireann to deliver the National Disinfection Project across the county. The Donegal programme is now complete.
Disinfection systems at 15 plants have been upgraded and standardised. We have also finished operational upgrades to public water supplies and pumping stations.
These sites include: arranmore Island, Buncrana (Slavery), Bundoran Urban (Lough Melvin), Carndonagh, Carrigart-Downings, Cranford, Donegal (River Eske), Shannagh (Fanad East), Tullyconnell, Frosses-Inver, Inishowen East (Redcastle, Inishowen West (Meendoran), Lough Mourne, Milford and Pettigo.
What was involved
The programme involved assessing the condition and performance of all the sites. We then determined the disinfection systems needed to be upgraded.
Works at the plants included upgrades to the:
- Chemical storage and dosing infrastructure
- Chlorine contact time provision systems
- Monitoring instrumentation systems
- Control, telemetry and automation processes
The upgrade works carried out as part of this project has:
- Improved the security of drinking water for residents and businesses
- Improved disinfection systems and standards
- Future-proofed the security of supplies
- Provided improved control of the systems
- Ensured continued compliance with Drinking Water Quality Regulations