Derrygreenagh Water Mains Replacement
Leakage Reduction Programme
Irish Water, partnership with Westmeath County Council, has ageing back yard water mains and providing new service connections in Derrygreenagh, Co. Westmeath to improve security of supply, water quality and reduce high levels of leakage.
Irish Water is investing over €500 million between 2017-2021 to reduce leakage and replace old pipes on the public water network.
This project commenced in early October 2020 and was completed in November 2020.
- A Reliable Water Supply - Replacement of water mains and service connections will reduce the instances of bursts and water outages and will ensure a reliable supply of water to customers and local businesses in the area.
- Reduced Leaks - Replacement of water mains and service connections will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground.
- Improved Operation and Maintenance - These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future.
- The works involve the decommissioning of 1130 meters and replacement of approximately 863 meters of problematic water mains with high density polyethylene (plastic) pipes.
- It is likely that the service connections currently serving these properties from the old back yard services in Derrygreenagh are made from lead. All new service connections will be made with modern high-density polyethylene (HDPE) plastic pipes to ensure a safer, more reliable supply of water to customers in the area.
Will customers be affected by the works?
To facilitate the safe delivery of the works, there will be some traffic management in place during delivery. Local and emergency access will be maintained at all times.
The works may involve some short-term water shut offs and the project team will ensure that customers are given a minimum of 48 hours notice prior to any planned water shut offs.
We understand that this type of work can be inconvenient and works crews will make every effort to minimise any disruption these necessary works cause.
For further information you can contact the Project Team at email@example.com.