Dalkey Water Main Replacement
National Leakage Reduction Programme
Irish Water, in partnership with Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council, is replacing ageing water mains in Dalkey, Co Dublin to improve security of supply, reduce high levels of leakage and improve water quality.
The programme to replace the water mains on Cunningham Drive, Dalkey, Co Dublin will commence on late March 2019. These works are being carried out as part of Irish Water’s National Leakage Reduction Programme. The works will be carried out on behalf of Irish Water by GMC Utilities Group Ltd. and are expected to be completed within 2 weeks.
A Reliable Water Supply
Replacement of water mains and service connections will reduce the instances of bursts and water outages and will ensure a reliable supply of water to customers and local businesses in the area
Improved Water Quality
- Replacing existing old cast iron and lead from the public water network with new modern pipes will reduce the risk of contamination
- Replacement of water mains and service connections will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground
Improved Operation and Maintenance
- These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future
- The works involve the replacement of over 318 metres of aged cast iron water mains with high density polyethylene (plastic) pipes
- The works will also involve laying new water service connections from the public water main in the road to customers’ property boundaries and connecting it to the customers’ water supply
- Where the existing service connections on the public side are lead these will be replaced as part of this improvement work