Coolballow Water Mains Replacement
National Leakage Reduction Programme
Irish Water, in partnership with Wexford County Council, is replacing problematic water mains at Coolballow, County Wexford to improve security of supply, reduce high levels of leakage and improve water quality.
Irish Water is investing over €500 million between 2017- 2021 to reduce leakage and replace old pipes on the public water network. The benefits of this programme are:
- Replacing old pipes to reduce drinking water lost by leakage
- Fixing leaks to reduce disruption from bursts and outages
- Improving water quality
- Delivering savings on operation and maintenance of the network
The works on the Coolballow Road involve the replacement of approximately 2.1 kilometres of problematic water mains with polyethylene (plastic) pipes. The programme to replace the water mains in Coolballow will commence in early May 2021. These works are being carried out as part of Irish Water’s National Leakage Reduction Programme.
The works will also involve connecting customers water service connections to the new water main.
The works will be carried out on behalf of Irish Water by Wexford County Council and are expected to be completed in September.
What are the benefits of the works?
The benefits of the leakage reduction works include:
• A Reliable Water Supply – Replacement of water mains and service connections will reduce the instances of bursts and water outages and will ensure a reliable supply of water to customers and local businesses in the area.
• Reduced Leaks – Replacement of water mains and service connections will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground.
• Improved Operation and Maintenance – These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future.
In order to complete works safely and efficiently a road closure of the Coolballow Road will be required for the duration of works, Monday to Friday 08.00 to 17.00 hrs. Local access will be maintained.
Traffic travelling south east/east will be diverted via Sinnotstown Lane toward the Rosslare Road. West and south west bound traffic will be diverted via the Rosslare road southbound to Sinnotstown Lane.
When works reach the L-3506-3 further traffic management may be required and will be advertised closer to the date.