Clonliffe Road, Drumcondra Water Mains Replacement
National Leakage Reduction Programme
Irish Water, in partnership with Dublin City Council, is replacing ageing water mains in Clonliffe Road area of Drumcondra, Dublin 3 to provide a more reliable water supply, improve water quality and reduce high levels of leakage.
The works involve the replacement of 2 kilometres of old cast iron water mains with high density polyethylene (plastic) pipes in the Clonliffe Road area, Dublin 3. The works are scheduled to commence in late November 2019 and are part of Irish Water’s National Leakage Reduction Programme.
The works will take place along Clonliffe Road, Tolka Road, and Orchard Road. The works will also involve laying new water service connections from the public water main in the road to customers’ property boundaries and connecting it to the customers’ water supply.
The works will be carried out on behalf of Irish Water by GMC Utilities Group Ltd. and are expected to be completed in February 2020.
A Reliable Water Supply
- Replacement of water mains and service connections will reduce the instances of bursts and water outages and will ensure a reliable supply of water to customers and local businesses in the area.
Improved water quality
- Replacing existing old cast iron and lead from the public water network with new modern pipes will reduce the risk of contamination.
- Replacement of water mains and service connections will eliminate existing leaks and reduce the amount of clean drinking water lost into the ground.
Improved Operation and Maintenance
- These works will deliver cost savings by providing improved water network operation that will require less maintenance in the future.
Affects of Works
- Areas of work will be limited to short sections to minimise impact on customers. Traffic
management will be in place during this time. Local and emergency traffic will be
maintained at all times.
- The works may involve some short-term water shut offs and the project team will
ensure that customers are given a minimum of 48 hours notice prior to any planned
water shut offs.
- We understand that this type of work can be inconvenient and works crews will make
every effort to minimise any disruption these necessary works cause.
Residents and businesses in the areas to benefit from the planned improvements have been notified directly and customers can phone Irish Water on 1850 278 278 if they have any questions about the project.
Irish Water regrets any inconvenience these necessary water network improvements may cause. Details of any supply interruptions associated to this project will be updated regularly on the Water Supply Updates section of the Irish Water website.